Breast Cancer Awareness Month & A Healthier You!
You may be noticing the pink ribbons, but has it motivated any changes in your life? As part of our medical community, Dr. Brice and his Coos Bay dental team are fully supportive in advocating October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
You may be mothers, employers, employees…the list goes on. The point is, if you’ve got Y chromosomes you need to celebrate and protect your uniqueness!
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is all about the education and empowerment of women, to take charge of their own breast health.
Too Busy? Not Anymore!
Yes, you may feel run off your feet but love yourself enough to perform a monthly breast self-exam. Detecting and following up on any changes or abnormalities detected could honestly save your life. Can’t quite remember the technique? Click on this link to the National Breast Cancer Awareness website. http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/early-detection-of-breast-cancer
Reduce the Risk
Self-exams, Clinical breast exams, and Mammograms all play roles in monitoring your health. What about reducing the risk factors that lead to cancer in the first place? Now that would be empowering!
Genetic factors may be involved, but whether or not those genes activate has a tremendous amount to do with how lively and nontoxic your lifestyle is.
Adopting healthy habits can feel and taste great too! Here’s a list of 10 Cancer-Fighting Foods:
- Berries (they’re packed with antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins & minerals)
- Garlic (shown to inhibit cancer growth, great detoxifier & revs your immune system)
- Avocado (rich in antioxidant glutathione that attacks free radicals)
- Kale/Cabbage/Broccoli/Cauliflower (fiber-rich cancer preventers)
- Spinach (decreases effects of any ingested carcinogens)
- Quinoa/Millet/Amaranth/Buckwheat (great gluten-free combo of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and polyphenols)
- Shitake Mushrooms (suppresses conversion of testosterone into estrogen, boosts immune system, contains lentinan that slows tumor growth)
- Collards (detoxify, plus are anti-inflammatory)
- Tomatoes (antioxidant strong, high in vitamins, minerals)
- Turmeric spice (contains curcumin, a cancer prevention component)
Smile and Live Long
Your beautiful and healthy smile is always the goal of our Coos Bay dental team, but we’re equally determined to help patients enjoy productive, long lives. Let National Breast Cancer Awareness Month motivate you to pursue a healthier lifestyle!
Do you have some great recipes that incorporate the Top Ten Cancer-Fighting Foods mentioned in this article? Please, SHARE with us!