Do you have several missing teeth? Having an incomplete smile can make you feel uncomfortable and anxious in social situations, or eating certain foods is problematic due to missing teeth. High quality dentures can help you restore your smile and enjoy those certain foods again.
The Basics about Dentures
Dentures are dental prosthetics made of biocompatible materials to avoid irritation or undesirable reactions. They are worn over the gums and serve as a replacement for your lost teeth. The appearance of dentures have improved greatly over the years, with today’s dentures looking as natural as real teeth.
A denture is comprised of an acrylic base and porcelain crowns. The base is colored pink to match the gums, and its shape is custom-fitted to hug around the gums as perfectly as possible to prevent it from falling out. The porcelain crowns are cemented into the gum base to look like real teeth. Porcelain is the best material to use because it is durable and looks most like natural teeth.
In addition to providing new dentures, we also offer denture repair, denture cleaning, and other denture maintenance services.
What are the Types of Dentures?
There are various types of dentures depending on the number of teeth to be replaced and material used. These include:
For people who have no teeth left, full dentures are the best restorations because they come in a whole dental arch full of teeth. It may be a set of upper, lower, or both upper and lower teeth, with the acrylic base covering the entire gum. If a patient still has a few teeth left, but they don’t have a high chance of remaining healthy, it may be better to extract them and restore the entire arch with a full denture.
Partial dentures are designed for people who still have many healthy teeth left. Instead of extracting all of them, partial dentures can be worn around the healthy teeth. To keep the denture in place, it is attached to metal clasps which hold onto the remaining teeth.
For patients who have allergies to metals, or those who just don’t like the feel of metal in their mouth, flexible dentures are a great alternative. Instead of metal clasps, flexible dentures are made completely from a type of thermoplastic (vinyl-like) material, and wrap around the teeth without the chrome look or bulky metal. Ask about Valplast Partials today.
Benefits of Using Dentures
When you get dentures, you will be able to enjoy the following benefits:
- Better-looking smile. It’s hard to smile when you don’t have any teeth to show, but with dentures, your smile will be sparkling bright, as though you never lost your teeth!
- Firmer facial skin. When you lose your teeth, the skin around your face loses support and starts to sag. This can cause early wrinkles and an older appearance. As soon as you start wearing dentures, the skin on the face firms up and you will look more youthful.
- Clearer speech. Losing teeth can affect speech.
- Improved chewing ability.
- Confidence boost.
Alternatives to Dentures
If you are not sure whether dentures are the right restoration for you, here are several restorative alternatives to choose from:
- Dental bridges. Bridges are designed for single or double-tooth restorations only. The bridge is comprised of two crowns with a false tooth (pontic) cemented in between them. The pontic is not attached to the gums at all. It is only held in place by the crowns which will be cemented onto the adjacent teeth. Since bridges can only be done for one or two missing teeth.
- Dental implants. Implants are more sophisticated and expensive, but they offer the biggest benefits as compared to all other restorations. They are designed to imitate the natural structure, function, and beauty of real teeth. The implant is a titanium post embedded into the jawbone which serves as the tooth root, and a porcelain crown which serves as the tooth restoration. The implant has a very strong attachment to the jaws once it integrates with the jawbone and can carry chewing and biting forces just like real teeth.
Get Dentures from the Your North Bend General Dentist
If you have a lot of missing teeth and would like to restore the beauty of your smile, what you need is a set of dentures from the best dentist in North Bend, Above Dental. We provide the highest quality dentures made of the finest materials available in modern dentistry. We also partner with the best dental laboratories where the dental technicians handcraft dentures with skill and care.
Just give us a call at (541) 756-0155 or send us a consultation request using our online form here. You may also drop by our dental office at 2070 Virginia Ave, North Bend, anytime from 8 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Saturdays. Our dental staff looks forward to assisting you with all of your inquiries.